Monday, June 22, 2009

My Dad

Father's Day has come and gone, but although I'm late, I didn't want to let the opportunity pass without saying something about my dad. Simply because he's too special not to mention.

I read a quote from Clarence Kelland last week, "My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived and let me watch him do it." That statement really resonated with me, because though I never really thought about it in this way, this is exactly how I feel about my dad. He didn't preach to me or really even instruct me as to how to become a great person, he lived his life as a great person and I saw him do it every day. He showed me what it means to be strong and soft at the same time. From him, I learned how to face adversity and heart ache with grace and dignity. He taught me that family is the cornerstone in our lives, a compass for those times we get lost to steer us back home. Now that I'm a parent, I can see the gentle side of my father coming out in me when I relate to Will, and that makes me know I'm doing something right.

When I was three, my Pop's truck ran over my tiny little body in the driveway of his shop. I don't remember much about that day, except for my dad scooping me up in his arms and running me through the apple orchard to our house. I remember feeling so small in his arms. But, more importantly, I remember feeling safe. That feeling has continued throughout my life. I still feel safe and protected with my dad, and I know I always will.

I guess if I could wish for one thing as it relates to my father, it would be for people to see him when they see me. That my life will serve as a reflection of his. Because that's how amazing he is. To me, the best compliment I could receive is, "Wow, you're just like your dad."



Happy late Father's Day to all the dads out there that inspire this feeling in their children.

L

2 comments:

  1. Love that quote, it's exactly how I feel about my dad as well. I may just write that late father's day post as well. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Jessie at Blog Schmog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so sweet and true about your Dad. Those attributes are the same that have blessed my life as well. By the way, you are doing an excellent job as a mother. If I could do it again you would be a good example to follow! Love you

    ReplyDelete