Friday, July 10, 2009

Push It

I visited my OB for my 12 week check up yesterday, and I must say, I learned a lot. The first thing I learned is that a pregnant woman should never go to a one o'clock Dr's appointment thinking, "Eh, I'll just eat lunch when I get back." Bad. Very, very bad. After sitting in the waiting room for 50 minutes and eating (not chewing) about 4 pieces of gum, my stomach was growling so loud that people were starting to stare and point. Okay, not really, but it was coming to that, I swear it.

The nurse finally called me back and started going over my history and asking tons of questions about my symptoms and lifestyle. "Do you exercise? Do you eat raw meat? Does your job require you to jump out of tall buildings?" I was this close to saying, "Look lady, I don't smoke cigarettes, drink or do cocaine, can we just hurry this up so I can go bury my face in a cheeseburger?" when she finally wrapped things up and took me back to see my doctor.

He came in right away and I sprung it on him, "I don't want another c-section. I want to do a VBAC this time. Is this something you would be willing to do?" It came out so fast and matter of factly, I was surprised I said it. I held my breath and waited for him to tell me I was crazy and throw me out of there so that I could go get some lunch. Surprisingly, that's not what happened at all though. We discussed the reason I had to have a c-section the last time, and he agreed that I would be a good candidate for VBAC. *Exhale* He said as long as I am aware of the potential risks, he is 100% supportive of my choice to try and deliver vaginally this time around. He also informed me that he has "done a ton of VBACs" so that put my mind at ease as well. We talked about my birth plan and how I would be opting out of Pitocin or pain meds for my next delivery. I got a bit of a strange look from him when I said that I wouldn't be getting an epidural this time around, but this may have been due to my stomach growling so loud, he thought a dog had snuck in the room. He pulled out the doppler and checked the little lime's heartbeat and sent me on my way for bloodwork. Note to self: always eat something before getting 4 viles of blood drawn. It was brutal. I think I may have knocked over a couple of pregnant ladies on my rush out of the office, because all I could think is, "There's a Chick-Fil-A right across the street! MUST.GET.THERE.IMMEDIATELY." I devoured my fries so fast on the drive back to work, I about choked myself. It was totally worth it though.

So, there you have it, I get to try and deliver vaginally this time and I won't have to change doctors. And, I have a new found understanding for the need to eat lunch every day at the same exact time. My body just isn't equipped for a deviation from the plan.

Happy weekend!
L

2 comments:

  1. I'm sooo happy that your doctor is on board with your plan! Is it bad that my stomach does the same thing if I don't eat lunch at the same time everyday and I'm NOT pregnant? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! VBAC here you come! Glad it worked out and he listened to you. No pain meds...a woman after my own heart + you are very brave.

    ReplyDelete