Monday, April 27, 2009

Playing Dress Up

I live my life in jeans. I'm not a sloppy person or anything, I just prefer jeans over most other pants, especially in the winter. You can dress them up or down. They are forgiving if you've put on an extra pound or two, and most importantly, they are comfortable when chasing around a toddler. I have my priorites. Being able to wear pretty much anything I want at my job makes it much easier for me to fall into the "jeans every day" trap. If it weren't for their lax dress code, I'd be in skirts and heels every day. Basically, I blame them.

However, when summer comes along, though I do still wear lightweight jeans, I also start wearing a lot of skirts. Southern summers are just too dang hot to walk around in demin all the time. I like to throw on a flowing skirt, a tank and some flip flops and call it a day. Since our humidity reaches about 110%, you really have no other choice. You might melt into a puddle on the spot if you aren't dressed appropriately. This change in my wardrobe brings on many questions and comments from my friends and co-workers though. I wear a skirt to work and they're all, "Oh, you look nice today," or "Well, look who is all dressed up," or "What's the occassion?" I find myself wanting to answer them, "Don't worry, I don't have an interview." The office chauvinst did come up with another possible reason for the absense of my jeans this morning when he asked, "Didn't get a chance to wash a load of jeans yesterday, huh?" I bit my tongue and resisted the urge to say, "No, Rob does all the laundry for our family," though that isn't true in the least. He hates laundy and trades back rubs to get out of touching it. But that's another post entirely.

Hopefully everyone will realize as the spring and summer drones on that skirts are just going to be a part of my life for a while. Otherwise it's going to be a long few months of questions and surprised looks. I promise that when November rolls back around, I'll jump back into my beloved jeans and everyone can breath a sigh of relief that the world is as it should be.

L

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That's what happens when you work with mostly men. Insert eye roll here.

    ReplyDelete